CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 17, 2009

Playing "Dress Up"




Hayden is being a good big brother in these pictures playing dress-up with his little sister. These are treasured moments, so I had to capture it in pictures. They are still "working" on their relationship, but I am praying that one day they will be the best of friends. I have to say Hayden is very tolerant about the whole thing--it's Grace who can get pretty mean with him.
The last 2 days have been difficult---Grace is really testing us by being extremely strong-willed and throwing major tantrums when she doesn't get her way. We are now categorizing her tantrums like hurricanes are categorized---last night's tantrum was a Category 4--she screamed and cried for 30 solid minutes. Today was a Cat. 5--she screamed and cried for what she wanted for 1 hour and 10 minutes. My friend, Amy, has found all of these website forums where others have adopted children this age from China and we found that this behaviour is perfectly normal. She is wanting to control her environment since everything she has ever known is different now, and this is the only way she knows how to do it. It's easier to say then to live it, but we are making it. It does make homeschool hard though! After the Cat. 5 storm, she has been as compliant as can be which is rewarding!

4 comments:

Mia said...

Just remember hurricanes are seasonal and last for only a short time. I would say there isn't a child born who doesn't test his or her environment. She's just coming at you with 4 years under her belt that you didn't shape. You're up to the task, just be more stubborn than she. I remember a little girl who was very stubborn and tried a few fits and today she's the best. Hang lovingly tough! Mom

Carrie Brown said...

Sorry Whitney! I know you must be frustrated and tired, I know things will get better!! I have a 4yr. old tantrum tester as well!! I love how you categorize the tantrums...we may have to steal that one! I will pray for you guys, I love the pics of Hayden and Grace! Hang in there! Sounds like it is not very easy at the moment!!

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

Limits and boundaries make kids feel safe and confident - in that they know what to exspect. Your consistancy with those limits and boundaries is the golden ticket. You know all this ... just a reminder from the behaviorist. Also remember lots and lots of praise for good behavior and correct responses (4 praises to 1 one repremand). If it's hard to find things to praise her for try easy things like (great smile, good laughing, I like how you are eating that cookie). Love You!

Craig said...

Whitney, thanks for sharing these pictures. I'm sure it's been quite the roller coaster. Keep up the awesomeness.