CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 28, 2009

LAST DAY OF HOME SCHOOL!!!!!

Can I get an "Amen"!!!??? Yes, today is our last day of homeschool, and I must say; I am probably more excited than the kids! It's been an interesting school year to say the least-----in fact, it's been an interesting year period! June 5th marks a year living in St. Louis---what an unbelievably eventful year for us. 2 MAJOR events in our lives in the same year--relocating and adoption! Oh yeah, let's not forget homeschooling 3 kids for the first time. All in all--it's been a good year and I'm glad we have all survived it. St. Louis has brought us many blessings. We like our church and have built some special friendships here. Though the school system is one of the top systems in the country, homeschooling is a very popular choice here and so much is offered that we can't possibly do them all. We love our neighborhood--we live on a cul-de-sac and there are lots and lots of children. As it gets warmer parents and kids sit out together on one of our driveways until dark and just relax and visit while the kids play. We all look out for each other and help out when someone's in need. The only one of us who hasn't adjusted as well is Emma. She has had the hardest time with the move. She has refused to make new friends because she feels it "replaces" her old friends. At the same time, I think it has been especially hard to make friends because of the stage of life she is in. She is on the cusp of teenager (turning 13 in July), but not like other girls her age at all. We are glad that she is not "boy crazy" or overly concerned about wearing the "right" clothes and that she wants to stay a kid as long as she can. However, that sets her apart from every other girl her age and she has felt quite lonely at times which breaks my heart. She wants to do everything with Gabe who has never found difficulty finding friends---in fact, he is the most popular kid no matter where he is, but he is getting tired of Emma "riding his coat tails" as he puts it. We are contemplating sending Gabe to public school for several reasons: he is very interested in going for one and it might be a good thing for Emma and he to be separated for a while. Gabe also does better in school than Emma which causes more heartache for her. Anyway, we are praying and praying to make the right decision. Meanwhile--I'm looking forward to the summer and all that it will bring to our family!

4 comments:

Carrie Brown said...

Whoo=Hoo good for you! I moved when I was almost 12 from Denver to Paducah, KY...it was a hard transition. Poor Emma, tell her i understand a little! My friend Erin says you all have been talking! Miss you!! Glad you are done, and yes, put that Gabe into school, I am sure he will love it!!:)

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

You've been gone a year! WOW. We miss you but are thrilled that life in St. Lois is good. Emma, I just love your girl! She is her own person and that is sooo cool but I do understand how it can be lonely. When I was 13 I had only one friend and it was so hard to be around the clicky girls. WHen my one friend Janel was sick and stayed home I ate my lunch in the bathroom for sheer terror that the other kids realized I was a loner. I am praying that Emma find that one girl who is like her. Continue to push her gently to do social events so that she has the opportunity to find that one friend who will be her best bud! Love you all!

Rachel said...

Yay for summer!

And give that sweet Emma a hug for us.

Unknown said...

Yes, moving when you're young is very hard. I moved to LaPlace when I was 9 and then moved to Dallas when I was 15. It takes a while to adjust. And she will.